(866) 598-1217


TIN Check Frequently Asked Questions at eFileMyForms

What is the TIN Check Service?
With our optional TIN Check Service, we can verify that the Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN) used in your forms are correct. A TIN Name mismatch occurs when the IRS cannot match the TIN and Name to the IRS databases. A TIN can be either a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Each mismatch can result in a $100 penalty from the IRS as per the "Small Business Jobs and Credit Act of 2010."

What is the cost?
The cost for the TIN Check Service is $1 per form in your order. So if you have 10 forms in an order, there will be an additional $10 fee added to the order total. This additional charge will show as a line item in your order.

When will I be notified of the results?
TIN Check processing can take up to 1 week from the time you place your order and your credit card is successfully charged.

How will I be notified of the results?
After we perform the TIN Check on the forms in your order, we will send you an email indicating that the TIN Check is completed. You will then need to log into your account and review your order to see forms that passed or failed the TIN Check. If you do not receive your email after a week, we recommend that you periodically login and check your order to see your TIN Check status.

What do I do if a form passes the TIN Check?
You do not need to do anything. The TIN and Name you provided are correct.

What do I do if a form fails the TIN Check?
If your forms have not been electronically filed with the IRS/SSA, we recommend contacting the Payee/Payor and obtaining their correct TIN and Name. You can then log into your account, go to your order, and edit the form(s) in question. The new information that you provided will be eFiled with the IRS/SSA when we electronically submit your forms.

If your forms have already been electronically filed with the IRS/SSA, for each mismatch check your source documentation to see if the TIN or Name has a typo in it. Update your forms with the new information where applicable. If the W-9 or other source documentation agrees with your tax forms then consider re-soliciting the TIN & Name by sending out a W-9. When you get the new W-9 update your records for the next year.

Be sure to keep a folder with dated copies of W-9's sent out as well as any other updates or notes as part of a reasonable cause argument with the IRS will require these notes. For more information please refer to IRS Publication 1586 " Reasonable Cause Regulation & Requirements for Missing and Incorrect Name/TINs " (Per page 7 of this publication).

If a corrected TIN is received from the payee, include it on any future information return filed for that payee. A correction for a return with an incorrect TIN is not required unless also correcting a money amount. However, an employer should file a Form W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement, even if the employer is only filing Form W-2c to correct an employee's SSN. To order W-2c and W-3c forms call 1 800 TAX FORM (1-800-829-3676).

Setup an eFileMyForms account for free!

Take a video or screenshot tour of eFileMyForms

eFileMyForms is a service of 1099 Pro, Inc.
efilemyforms.com is a 1099 Pro, Inc. Service
23901 Calabasas Road, Suite 2080
Calabasas, CA 91302-4104
ph: (866) 598-1217

©Copyright 2017 by 1099 Pro, Inc. All rights reserved.
1099 Pro® is a Registered Trademark of 1099 Pro, Inc.
Please review our privacy statement.
Site by 1099 Pro.
(Version efdaa709a2ed2a53fbb65924372eb5f1ce440cb8)